Saturday, July 19, 2014

Miss R's pillows: Orange Peel, Log Cabin, HSTs


Granddaughter #1 arrived in town and her first question was, "What are we going to CREATE?"  She was yearning to sew pillows during her visit.





I was reminded of this 
wonderful glue baste technique 
Continued to use the glue baste technique to secure the back to the front and it worked great for Miss R.
No shifting or scrunching of fabric.
And no pins that would require frequent starts & stops.
on Amy Smart's blog post on DiaryofaQuilter.com  I had first seen this glue baste technique by Sharon Schamber last year as I was trying to perfect my binding.  Sharon's daughter Cristy Fincher has a boatload of wonderful YouTubes showing this glue baste technique and many others.


I drew the diagonal placement lines & stitching lines for her and she did very well.
Raw Edge Orange Peel


Log Cabin:  3.5" center square, 2" wide logs = 16" pillow!
She stitched in the ditch
 to secure the top, batting and lining sandwich.


Then her brothers put in their requests...

They wanted pillows to match their Chevron quilts
made last Fall.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Glow in the Dark Temple

Activity Day Girls latest theme: Temples and Living to Enter In.  It is an easy project to start and finish within an hour.  We will add the stenciled word Forever under the temple in 2 wks.
Foam core board, 20x30, was cut into (12) 5x7 pieces.
Hobby Lobby frame dept did it, total cost $6.
Spray adhesive on back of scrapbook paper.
Roller pin compression helps.
Stenciled with Delta Ceramcoat white paint first,
then 4 thin layers of
Glidden's Glow in the Dark paint (best $ at Walmart.)

Used Dritz Gridded Template Plastic sheet
(at Joann's for an insane cost of just $2.14!!!)
to stencil cut an outline of our Temple.
Used an Exacto knife for the first cut and Fiskars fine tip scissors
for the cleaning up of the straight sides.
This pic is after the initial cut.  It "cleaned up" beautifully.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Buttercup Jelly Roll Chemo Comforter

With each stitch a prayer.

One jelly roll = 53x64 comforter!

Buttercup by Fig Tree Quilts.

God Bless our sweet friend on this journey
 of faith, courage, fight, love, 
and the blessing of modern medicine.



Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Happy 4th of July Activity Day Girls project

24" of 3" wide strips of RW&B fabrics and a hair elastic.
Oh, and 3 needles later.
Seven 9 yr olds who can now say
they have used a sewing machine on their own!


Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Another 1st: a Sampler!

Another 1st!!!  

A friend brought over a lovely 30's Sampler top and asked, 
"Can you do this?  It is full of stretched bias edges..."

Hmmmm.

I studied it, petted it, and sketched it.

And then... I stitched it!

This quilt had a bunch of bias abundance...
The pebble stitching sucked up all that abundance and was the perfect solution to stretched bias edges
that wanted to continue to grow.
Perhaps my next blog will be called Bias Abundance.
It has a nice ring to it.
And it is something that needs to be controlled,
which pretty much describes moi.



Judy Madsen, of Green Fairy Quilts,
recommends a terrific longarm ruler:
A-1 Longarm Ruler.
It is easy on your hands with the pressure spread out.
I second that recommendation!

15 1/2 pre-wound mega bobbins, So Fine! #50 

Tools used on this quilt top are some of my favorites:
Linda Taylor's Electric Quilters Arch Guide
Green Fairy's A-1 9" Longarm Quilting Ruler
Off the Edge Circle
Four of MSQC's Football (melon) templates taped together :)
Dritz Stitch-In-The-Ditch & Quarter Inch Combo
*3/8" thick!*
Groz-Beckert 134 SAN Multi-Directional Needles  100/16 size
Superior Threads - So Fine! #50, color 401 Snow, top & bobbin



OOOPS,
see the triangles on the right of the center block?
Guess I need to put it under my Janome
for some finishing touches/stitches!
Ha!



On the front side, the grandmother's fan was stitched by...
the recipient's grandmother!

A little mitochondrial DNA stitched into this treasure.
Special stitches for someone special.
Marine Biologist!


Friday, June 27, 2014

Another great QOV idea


Saw this pic on Quiltville's fb page and had to put pencil to paper and create the block for a future QOV project!  This lovely patriotic quilt was made by Suzanne Twinzsl in 2009 (according to flickr) and I have messaged her for the name of the pattern & its designer so I can give proper credit.  Until then, I started sketching it out.

Here is a paper foundation I made up to create this scrappy QOV.
I, also, posted this info on Quiltville's fb page for those admiring Suzanne's quilt:  

Blocks square up at 7 1/2"
(printable on standard paper)
#1 center flag print fabric:  2 1/2 x 3 1/4"
#2 & 3 Neutrals with Red & Blue accents:  3 1/4 x 4 3/8"
#4 & 5 Dk Reds & Blues:  5 1/4"

Make 120 squares.  Layout as in pic, 10 across and 12 (instead of her 14) down.
Add 4" border.

The dimensions would end up approx 78" x 92",
which is a generous twin.