Saturday, December 12, 2015

Grandmother's Flower Garden by 3 generations of hands

A dear woman asked me to help her.  She had a hexagon top that was 60+ yrs in the making, innumerable sets of hands, 
all with various stitching "techniques."  

See the top below.  I duct taped a Kona Snow under top to my tile floor.  With the top freshly pressed and The Micro Fine Glue Tip from Purple Daisies Quilting I carefully glued and hot pressed every exterior hexie edge to the Kona Snow.  It controlled the wonky edges perfectly.
Using So Fine thread, Betty's Teal, 
I then was able to blanket stitch the hexie top to the Snow under top without any shifting occuring.  
I trimmed away the Snow from the back (lots of Snow for future piecing!) leaving about an inch extra all around from the blanket stitching.   


Before:  the hexies were a hot mess.  
Bunched up, pleated, uneven, but made with love.



I love how the white provides the definition to each hexie edge.






Look at the stitching and imagine 60+ yrs and
 3 generationsof hands
working on this treasure.
Much can be forgiven when you see they stuck with it.
They did it.
I wish she could have had it hand-stitched.
But for her, it was better to have it done 
for her mother to enjoy now.
Well done, ladies!


2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! That was some impressive quilting you did. Great job saving such and old and beautiful quilt.

Karee said...

Thank you. I wonder if such tops will ever be seen again.