Saturday, December 26, 2015

Surfer Boy Challenge

Challenges keep you sharp, stimulated, and growing.


Surfer Boy


A client has a wonderful grandson that loves to surf.  She has had PART of a quilt top done for 2 yrs.  Tick tock.  A busy, creative life (such as being the Director of Savior of the World) gets in the way and before you know it another Christmas is 2 1/2 DAYS away.  But this Christmas your grandson is coming to your home for Christmas and that Surfer Boy quilt top is still undone.  Who do you call?

I am so glad she called me.  She is a most talented artist with paints, wood, music, drama scripts, etc so I was a smidge worried I could not finish it to her level of skill...  (ok, more than a smidge)
"Jump right in and do it" is the only answer.

What a joy!  What a challenge!  Do you ever pray for quilt design, construction, FMQing help?  I do!



The inspiration photo of a crazy, beautiful curl.



Therm-O-Web's HeatnBond Lite came to the rescue!
Let's make a wave to remember!

Ready to go on Sis Hinckley, my ever-working Gammill,
for some FMQ magic to happen.

Double batting for this 9'x4' wall art quilt.

She created this grandson from pics of him at the beach.
Did I tell you she is sooo talented?
His swim trunks and striped shirt.
So cute.


I customized a binding that mimicked the art quilt
so as to appear seamless rather than bound.




Surfer Boy



7 comments:

Linda H said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! What an awesome quilt! Fabulous job by both of you.

Karee said...

Thank you! Have to love a challenge!

Charlene S said...

Wow! Such talent displayed in that quilt.

Karee said...

Thank you. Combined efforts are so fun.

Becky said...

Oh, my word! I bet the recipiet was THRILLED! That is absolutely fabulous. I just love those "landscape" type quilts. I have not attempted anything quite like that.

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Awesome work!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow this is gorgeous! You did a superb job throughout - just love the binding!